DIY Thursday: Aromatherapy Perfume
DIY Thursday: Aromatherapy Perfume Solids
It’s the best day of the week! DIY Thursdays are where it’s at: each week, we show you an easy DIY project you can make at home and one more way you can use essential oils.
This week, we’re making homemade, natural perfume solids using beeswax, jojoba oil, and essential oils. Did you know most conventional perfumes and colognes contain petroleum-based chemicals and animal byproducts? Gross. Say goodbye to harmful, expensive, synthetic fragrances! Say hello to your own beautiful, personalized, natural perfume!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
1 double boiler or 1 glass measuring cup (or other heat-tolerant container)
1 pot for boiling water
6oz. beeswax pellets or shavings (this melts down to about 2 ounces)
2oz. jojoba oil
Your choice of essential oils
6 small containers with lids
Long stirring stick (to stir beeswax + carrier oil)
Toothpicks (to stir in essential oils)
Some notes on ingredients and supplies:
– It is very difficult to remove the waxy coating that this recipe leaves on your materials. It may be a good idea to keep a double boiler container just for making various wax recipes (like candles!)
– If you’d like a vegan alternative to beeswax, try using soy wax!
– You can use a variety of carrier oils. We used Jojoba Oil, but Almond, Safflower, Olive, Avocado and Coconut oils would all work great!
– This recipe makes enough for six little containers. If you’d like to make a smaller batch, decrease the recipe but make sure you use equal parts wax and carrier oil.
– Any small container will work, tin or glass preferably. We’ve even seen these made in locket necklaces!
Here’s What To Do:
The first thing you’ll need to do is start melting your beeswax. Pour beeswax pellets or shavings into the double boiler or measuring cup.
Get Your Water Boilin’
Fill your pot with about 3 cups of water and place the measuring cup inside the pot. Bring the water to a rolling boil. Stir frequently, making sure all the wax has melted. (It took us about 15 minutes to melt.)
Add Your Oils
Once melted, add an equal amount of Jojoba oil and stir it, stir it good! Turn the burner off, you won’t be needing it anymore. With an oven mitt or pot holder, take your double boiler or measuring cup out of the pot and carefully pour the liquid into your container(s). Add your essential oils to each container and use the toothpicks to stir. (We used 15-20 drops for each container.)
Once everything has hardened back into a waxy texture and cooled off, it’s ready to use. You smell marvelous!
Some Scent Suggestions
Our Everyone™ Essential Oil Blends are perfect for perfumes because complimentary oils are already blended to smell amazing together.
We used Relax, a soothing combination of 100% pure Lavender, Orange, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang and Frankincense essential oils.
Balance, a bright, beautiful blend of 100% pure Geranium, Orange, Peppermint, and Lavender essential oils.
Calm, a relaxing blend of 100% pure Lavender, Orange, and Cedarwood essential oils.
Lastly, a staff favorite: Uplift, a cheery blend of 100% pure Grapefruit, Orange, Cedarwood, Ylang Ylang, Frankincense, and Lavender essential oils.